The Perfect Sourdough Bread Recipe
The sourdough recipe to end all sourdough recipes. Coupled with Local Flour Co. Premium Bread Flour, this hearty recipe produces a rich and crusty loaf with perfect pockets and a chewy finish.
- Measure or weigh 5 cups of Premium Bread Flour.
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together until a sticky dough forms. If a standing mixer is available, beat ingredients for between 30 and 60 seconds. If a standing mixer is not available simply stir with a large implement or whisk until all ingredients have combined.
- Cover your dough with a lid or wrap and let rise for about an hour.
- Take your dough out of the container with care and fold it over a few more times. Cover and let sit another hour.
- Repeat this process a third time. After the three-hour mark fold the dough several times once again. Place in the fridge and let the dough rest for a minimum of 8 hours (up to 44 hours).
- Now that the prep is over, place your dough onto an adequately floured surface and form the dough into the shape of a ball. Leave the seam of the dough facing upward, cover the dough again, and let it rest on a floured surface for fifteen minutes.
- Form the dough into the shape of your desired loaf. Common shapes include a footlong log or a round boule. Put your dough into the base of your baker. Make sure the surface of your baker is greased or dusted with semolina. Cover the baker with a lid.
- Allow your dough to warm to room temperature and relax its form (approximately 2-3 hours).
- Approximately one hour before bake time, place an oven rack in the middle of your oven and preheat the oven to 260 degrees Celsius.
- When ready to bake, lightly powder your loaf with a minimal coat of flour. Form one or several 1/2” deep cuts through the top surface of your dough using a sharp knife. For longer shapes an arched cut down the length of the loaf works and for round shapes crosshatch patterns are also useful.
- Place the lid on your baker and put it in the oven. Decrease the oven from 260 Celsius to 230 Celsius and bake your sourdough loaf for 45 minutes.
- Take away the lid or cover of your baker and let the loaf continue to bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Once the loaf is golden brown, has formed a good crust, and reads at least 99 Celsius at its center (with an inserted thermometer) take your loaf out of the oven, place on a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Experience satisfaction.
- Share and enjoy. For storage: store at room temperature in a plastic bag. For storage lasting more than a few days, use a freezer.
- 5 cups [600g] Local Flour Co. Premium Bread Flour
- 1.75 cups [400g] water
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon [18g] salt
- Optional: 2 teaspoons diastatic malt powder (adds strength to rise and a golden hue)